How do I get PD Credit for the Convention?
How do I get Job Embedded PD for attending the KAHPERD Convention in November?
Get the Principal's Approval BEFORE the Convention, Another important consideration is that attending the conference for PD credit should be part of a teacher’s individual professional growth plan (IPGP) OR at least mentioned in the school’s coordinated improvement plan (CSIP). If there’s prior admin approval AND some professional growth linkage, then attending conferences for job embedded PD probably meets most criteria as effective professional development.
1. Is job embedded PD available state wide? If so, how does it work? Job embedded PD is a concept, not a program. The value lies in teachers participating in meaningful professional growth activities during the school day, while the skills they are trying to learn are actually happening in the classroom or in the schools.
2. How do teachers apply? There is no state application process. It’s left up to the school/district administration to interpret the process approve the time spent during the day as job embedded PD.
3. Is there a statewide form they must use? No, it’s a local school or district process that will vary.
4. How do they go about "paying back" the time off they receive for PD? Typically, teachers must make up the time requested as job embedded PD after school hours. Otherwise, the time would count as double, constituting “double-dipping,” which is a big no-no. (In other words, if the time was not made-up after school hours, you’d be counting the job embedded PD flex time, AND regular work time twice)
5. Is it available so teachers can attend a state conference, such as KAHPERD, in order for teachers to receive content specific PD? Yes, that would be the intent, as long as there was linkage to attending the conference and to the teachers individual professional growth plan. This linkage is critical.
6. After the embedded PD takes place what type of forms do teachers need to complete? Again, this will vary. At a minimum, some sort of time log should be kept, indicating when the job embedded PD time was made up after hours.
7. Do school systems reimburse teachers for their expenses incurred at a "job embedded" workshop, i.e. registration fees, food, lodging & travel? Yes, reimbursement for expenses would be appropriate, excluding any type of stipend payment and maybe for food. Fayette County only reimburses food expenses when there is an overnight stay, so Fayette County teachers would not be reimbursed for food when attending a conference in Lexington… and we won’t let them spend the night for an in-town conference either.
This information was obtained from Mike Kennedy, Fayette Co. and David Cook, Office of Leadership & School Improvement" David.Cook@education.ky.gov Feel free to contact David with questions & concerns.
Call for Program Proposals for:
SDAAHPERD/KAHPERD 2014 Convention
SDAAHPERD/KAHPERD – 2014 CONVENTION
"Finding Joy in the Journey"
Lexington, KY February 19-22, 2014
If you are interested in submitting a program proposal in Lexington, click on the link:
Immediate feedback will be sent when the program
proposal information has successfully been submitted.
All individuals submitting a program proposal
will be notified by the end of August 2013 of its acceptance or denied.
Please print and keep the confirmation of successful submission
of the program proposal.
KAHPERD'S Executive Director, Lonnie Davis,
resigns effective 2014
Make plans now to attend the 2013 KAHPERD Summer Workshop
@ Highland Middle School, Louisville, KY.
Click on the Summer Workshop tab above for more info!
Get 6-12 hours of PD credit for attending(get this approved w/your system's PD Coordinator prior to attending).
Program Proposals are Encouraged! Go to Summer Workshop Drop Down Menu Above to fill out the Proposal Form
2012 Mustaine Award Recipient, John Ferguson, EKU
Pictures from the 2012 KAHPERD Convention @ The Galt House, Louisville
Check out what's Happening @ Warren Elementary, Warren Co Public Schools
Working w/Golf Pro, Chuck Keown, as he demonstrates "birdie ball" equipment for Warren Elementary P.E. classes. This is a partnership between Bowling Green City Golf Courses and the Warren Co. P.E. teachers. Sue Banister is the PE Teacher @ Warren Elem. What is your school doing in PE? Share w/us to be featured on the website send to: firstname.lastname@example.org
KY to Host 2014 Southern District
As a result of hosting the Feb. 2014 SDAAHPERD Convention we
(KAHPERD) WILL NOT have a Nov. 2013 Convention. This will
allow KAHPERD Members to attend the SDAAHPERD Convention in Lexington, KY in Feb.2014.
This Meeting will allow us (KAHPERD) the opportunity to meet/attend meetings
w/Professionals from the Southern 13 States!!
That means when planning your PD budget for the 2013-2014 year
plan to attend the SDAAHPERD Convention in Lexington, KY.
KAHPERD Members will only pay SDAAHPERD Registration Fees.
Volunteers will be needed to provide services to the SDAAHPERD, showing everyone
in the SDAAHPERD why KY is so GREAT!!
KAHPERD will return to our regular Convention
Schedule in the Fall of 2014.
Reminder to Members of the KAHPERD eNewsletter: If you change jobs/email addresses please go to the "newsletter" and edit your profile so you can continue to recieve the enews. If you want to "unsubscribe" you can do it at the bottom of any newsletter. Your info will never be shared or sold!! Thanks!!
If you are no longer receiving the e-newsletter, click on the "join our Mailing List" and try to log in. If you can not log in, set up your account again. When you have finished go to your email program and add <email@example.com> to your address book/contacts, so you will be able to receive the email. Without this addition some programs will not allow you to receive the newsletter. There is the option at the bottom of newsletters to "add us to your address book" so that your email will recognize and receive the enews. Thanks!!